secret fix system
This is a unique cladding fixing system based on a special profile that Brooks Bros machines to specification (see earlier section) and a patented hidden fastener that offers fast and easy installation. The result is a truly professionally finished look to the installed cladding. Brooks Bros offers and stocks this system as an alternative to traditional fixing of horizontal and vertical cladding. The fastener is made from reinforced stainless steel and tested to be up to 3 times stronger than other unseen fasteners. Using the kit offers quick and easy installation. It is suitable for use with dense timbers and pre-finished/coated profiles.
Availability: Supplied in kits containing 300 Secret Fix clips, 20 starter clips, 325 stainless steel screws and a T-15 Driver Tip
Machined from treated softwood (UC3B BS EN335) Brooks Bros Standard and Sloping/Chamfered Battens are available from stock in a wide range of sizes (from 19 x 38mm up to 95 x 95mm) with the option of having other sizes machined to specification in Brooks Bros’ own sawmills. They are treated to NBS specification Z12 and Wood Protection Association Commodity Specification C6/C8 to ensure both horizontal/vertical timber weatherboarding is well supported.
nails and fixings
Choosing fixings for cladding is important as it affects the structural performance and aesthetic appearance of the cladding. They should (preferably) be of stainless steel grade 305 minimum for general cladding application and grade 316 stainless steel for cladding exposed to marine environments or close to coastal areas. Stainless steel has inherent corrosion protection and the head will weather to the similar weathered silver-grey colour of the cladding.
Fixings should be driven to finish flush with the wood surface and nail penetration into battens should be twice the thickness of the board minimum for ring shanks. As a guide, it is recommended two face fixings for boards (75mm and above) and not more than 450mm centres for fixings.
Brooks Bros recommend a Structural Engineer is involved in the design of the cladding systems to ensure the correct type and number of fasteners are used to adequately support the loads from self-weight and wind. All fixings need to meet BS 1202 standards.
The Brooks Bros inventory of stainless steel nails, fixings and screws is comprehensive, covers all cladding requirements and includes:
- Grade 305 Shingle Stainless Steel Nails
- Grade 305 Stainless Steel Cladding Annular Ring Shank Nails
- Grade 305 Resistance Swaneze Bugle Head Screws: 8.74mm diameter head, 4.17mm diameter shank and sizes from 51mm to 76mm long
- Grade 305 Trim Bugle Head Screws: 5.84mm diameter head, 3.81mm diameter shank and sizes from 51mm to 76mm long
- Grade 316 Woodpecker Marine Stainless Steel Screws: 3.81mm diameter shank and sizes from 57mm to 76mm long
- Grade 316 Marine Grade Heavy Duty Framing Fixings: Tamer® Hex washer head, sizes 6mm diameter x 102 / 152 / 203mm long and 57mm thread length
- Grade 304 Stainless Steel Annular Ring Shank Fixings: With mechanical or pneumatic fixing, D-Head/Clipped Head Paper Tape. Recommended for the application of roof shingles, shakes and cladding, particularly Western Red Cedar, Siberian Larch and other wood species with high tannin content. Compatible with particular Paslode, Bosch, Dewalt, Makita, Hitachi, Bostitch, Grip-Rite - check for compatibility before ordering.
breather membranes and tapes
Brooks Bros offers two forms of Breather Membranes and Breather Membrane Tapes:
DuPontTM Tyvek® House Wrap: Ideal for timber frame wall systems it is made of high density polyethylene fibres for long-term protection against the elements. It is a durable, lightweight, wind-tight and water resistant solution designed for use in new build, refurbishment or extension projects.
DuPontTM Tyvek® UV Façade: Specifically designed for
long-term UV and moisture protection in open and ventilated
rain-screen cladding systems it offers exceptional moisture
management properties. It is lightweight, flexible, easy to install
and retains full performance when exposed to high UV and
Tyvek® UV Façade Tape and Tyvek Acrylic Tape: Tyvek® UV Façade Tape helps achieve optimal airtightness when fitting a Tyvek® UV Façade membrane, and DuPont™ Tyvek® Acrylic Tape is particularly suitable for damage repairs or making good as well as seals around pipes, windows or overlaps.
This fine screening mesh is a high quality extruded high density polyethylene (HDPE) structure offering effective protection from the smallest of insects and debris. It provides excellent light transmission and allows good air-flow, is rigid (so that it can be installed in panels) and can be used in both temporary and permanent applications.